Saturday, November 23, 2013

My very first self-made wine!


Today I tasted the result of our first ever home-made wine experiment - and it was awesome. The wine turned out to be sweet and reasonably strong.

I followed the popular instructions from Kosukadi. We used only common ingredients - regular dark grapes and yeast. Didn't look for any fancy grape varieties or special yeast.

The only deviation from the recipe was that I didn't add any egg white. And perhaps I slightly overdosed on the wheat too. Don't know if that has any effect anyway.

I followed the instructions thoroughly. The ingredients were mixed in a sterilized glass jar. As instructed, for the first 21 days, I opened it regularly and mixed the contents with a clean spoon. I might have missed a day or two, though. On the 21st day, the contents were filtered and the solid residue was removed. The filtered brew was stored back in the jar for about another 40 days (no daily stirring required).

And today, I siphoned off the clear liquid from the top in to glass bottles using a clean plastic tube. The wine turned out to be both sweet and strong. We loved it. I'm not a seasoned wine taster, so I can't make an educated comment on its quality. But for me, the experiment is a resounding success and inspiration to try out more variations and recipes :-)

For those wanting to try wine making, I'd strongly recommend Kosukadi's recipe. Its simple, cheap and gets great results.

Once we're done with this batch, I think I should try pineapples. He he..

2 comments:

  1. കുപ്പി തന്നവര്ക്കു wine കിട്ടിയില്ലാ............

    ReplyDelete
  2. ക്ഷമിക്കണം.. ഇനി ഒരു ഗ്ലാസ്സോളമേ ശേഷിക്കുന്നുള്ളൂ.. കുപ്പി തന്നവന്‍ ഷാറില്‍ പോയി കിടക്കുകയായിരുന്നല്ലോ! എന്തായാലും ഞാന്‍ നെല്ലിക്ക വൈനുണ്ടാക്കാന്‍ ഇട്ടിട്ടുണ്ട്. ഇപ്രാവശ്യം എന്തായാലും തരാം. :-)

    ReplyDelete